Monday, June 6, 2011

Author Guest Post: Melissa Lemon




Today Melissa Lemon, author of “Cinder and Ella”, is here to talk about “Cinderella”.
You can read my review of "Cinder and Ella" HERE.

**********
I remember getting the Disney version of Cinderella as a child (on VHS).  I already knew the story, but how I knew it, I can’t say.  It’s not a secret or anything; I simply don’t know how this tale of a poor girl with a mean family who marries a charming prince and lives happily ever after was familiar to me.  It seems like this fairy tale, and other ones as well, are told to us from such a young age that they are a part of us whether we realize it or not.

Cinderella is perhaps the most popular fairy tale because she is a character that we can relate to.  Personally, I am not a mermaid or a princess of any kind.  Beasts and frogs are not my thing.  But a human girl with a hard life, now that is something I can understand.

I grew up feeling a lot like Cinderella.  I worked hard—as a dedicated student, cleaning for a living during high school, college and in the early years of marriage, and finally as a mother. I didn’t have any step sisters or a stepmother, but I do have a bit of the middle child syndrome.  (Okay, “a bit” is an understatement.)  And while I can’t say that I ever hoped for a prince, I think that I’ve always wanted something better, or just something more.

Then one day, it hit me.  Cinderella is only a fairy tale.  There is no prince, no castle and there is no happily ever after, at least not one that can come in a package or from any circumstance.  And my life, at that moment, seemed like it was as good as it was ever going to get.  So I did what any devastated fairy story lover would do.  I cried.  And probably ate a lot of chocolate (I still do that—and the crying too).

It was inside of this realization that the seeds of Cinder and Ella began.  What if there were two girls instead of one?  What if one was named Cinder because of the color of her hair?  (The reasons for which will be revealed in the sequel—wait, did I say sequel?  That’s not set in stone yet, so maybe don’t get your hopes up.)   What if the other was forgotten because of family difficulties beyond her control?  What if the prince was out to get them?  What if they had to work hard not only in the beginning of the story, but in the end as well?  Because isn’t that how it is in real life?

So, besides the devastation and the chocolate and the crying, there is now a story.  And I do have a little something more.  I am an author.  With more work, more responsibilities, more friends, and more opportunities.  And I love it.  Life will always be full of challenges.  But that doesn’t mean you can’t have your happily ever after too.

**********

Thank you, Melissa! I do really hope there is a sequel.

You can view the rest of the tour stops HERE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oggi Melissa Lemon, autrice di "Cinder and Ella", è qui per parlarci di "Cenerentola". 
Potete leggere la mia recensione di "Cinder and Ella" QUI.

**********


Mi ricordo quando ricevetti la versione Disney di Cenerentola da bambina (su VHS). Conoscevo già la storia, ma come facevo a conoscerla non so dirlo. Non è certo un segreto, semplicemente non so come questo racconto di una povera ragazza con una famiglia meschina che sposa un principe azzurro e vive felice e contenta mi era familiare. Sembra che questa fiaba, come molte altre, ci vengano raccontate da una così giovane età che diventano una parte di noi, sia che ce ne rendiamo conto o meno.

Cenerentola è forse la fiaba più popolare, poiché Cenerentola è un personaggio a cui possiamo relazionarci. Personalmente, io non sono né una sirena né una principessa di qualsiasi tipo. Bestie e rane non fanno per me. Ma una ragazza umana con una vita difficile è qualcosa che posso capire.

Sono cresciuta sentendomi molto come Cenerentola. Ho lavorato sodo – come una zelante studentessa, facendo le pulizie per guadagnarmi da vivere nel periodo della scuola superiore, dell’università e durante i primi anni di matrimonio, e infine come una madre. Non ho avuto sorellastre o matrigne, ma ho un po’ la sindrome della figlia mezzana. (Okay, "un po’" è un eufemismo.) E mentre non posso dire che io abbia mai sperato di incontrare un principe, penso di aver sempre voluto qualcosa di meglio, o semplicemente qualcosa di più.

Poi un giorno ho di colpo realizzato che Cenerentola è solo una fiaba. Non c’è nessun principe, nessun castello e non c'è un lieto fine, per lo meno non un lieto fine “da fiaba”. E la mia vita, in quel momento, sembrava non sarebbe mai potuta essere migliore di allora. Così ho fatto quello che ogni sconvolto amante delle fiabe farebbe. Ho pianto e probabilmente ho mangiato un sacco di cioccolato (lo faccio tuttora – pianto compreso).


Fu all'interno di questa realizzazione che i semi di “Cinder and Ella” furono piantati.
E se ​​ci fossero due ragazze invece di una? E se una si chiamasse Cinder per il colore dei suoi capelli? (I motivi di ciò saranno rivelati nel sequel-, ho detto sequel? Non è ancora scritto nella pietra, perciò non abbiate troppe aspettative.) E se l'altra ragazza fosse stata dimenticata a causa di difficoltà familiari oltre il suo controllo ? E se il principe avesse l’intenzione di catturarle? E se dovessero lavorare sodo, non solo all'inizio della storia, ma anche alla fine? Perché non è così che funziona nella vita reale?

Quindi, oltre allo sconvolgimento e al cioccolato e al pianto, ora c'è una storia. Ed io ho un qualcosa in più. Sono un’autrice, con più lavoro, più responsabilità, più amici e più opportunità. E mi piace. La vita sarà sempre piena di sfide, ma questo non significa che anche voi non possiate avere il vostro “per sempre felici e contenti”.

**********
Grazie Melissa! Spero davvero ci sia una seguito.

Potete controllare tutte le altre fermate del tour QUI.

6 comments:

  1. I found you through the Small Blogs Big Giveaway blog hop and am now a new follower.
    Laurie
    Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every woman mistake is to desire their life can be like the fairytale they read in childhood. Realty is different, we have to create our personal fairytale or at least write it as the author did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laurie Thank you for following my blog, Laurie! :D (You have a lovely blog!)

    @Eva I agree, but sometimes it can be difficult. It is worth a try, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sembra molto interessante! non vedo l'ora che esca! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. E' un libro che tutte le amanti della fiaba di Cenerentola dovrebbero leggere. E' una *fiaba* (se così la si può definire) fuori dal comune. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this. I grew up loving Cinderella and am so excited to read a new take on it

    ReplyDelete